Thursday, June 15, 2006

Austria is SO yesterday

I got kinda bored on my last night in Salzburg, not because there isn't anything to do but because I am getting burnt out in general. The point is, I cut myself some bangs. I just went up to the reception desk and asked to borrow scissors, and I'm not sure whether she noticed the change in my appearance when I returned them or not, but I think I did a pretty good job!
I also ran into some St. Olafers, who are, believe it or not, the first Minnesotans (my age) I've run into the entire trip.
I have again concluded a few random things:
-It is easier to understand a German speaking German than it is to understand a Japanese speaking English. At least in my experience...
-German words are formulaic to a small extent. Most words are just several English words smushed together with other random letters thrown in for eccentricity. If you can get beyond all that, you're golden. Most people, including myself, usually cannot, which leads to my last note.
-Cavemen were possibly the smartest humans ever, as they initiated the stick-man messaging movement, without which all tourists would be lost and confused in foreign countries. It's hard to mistake the meaning of a stick man running toward a door-shape. Unless he really has to pee and is bolting for the WC, or is in Paris and escaping an angry mob by seeking Sanctuary in Notre Dame.

No comments: