Monday, March 19, 2007

Sad day for Snuffles

You may or may not have heard about the recent recall of over 40 brands of wet cat and dog food. It’s being recalled because it’s causing kidney failure, and in some cases, death of many well-loved pets around the nation.

That is horribly sad, but possibly not as sad as the quality of news coverage given to it on Fox news last night. First, they had an on-the-scene live report, which was actually just the parking lot of a PetSmart, a store which truly has earned negative points in the hundreds with me (see this post about the escaped Dalmatian). The reporter standing outside PetSmart gave us the lead, the info we needed to know concerning what type of food it is that’s causing kidney failure and death in cats and dogs, etc.

The last segment of the story was equally informative. Fox interviewed a vet who disclosed certain warning signs that your pet may be being poisoned. What I learned from him was this: If my pet is puking, collapsing, or acting sluggish, I should be concerned. Thanks. Because I was going to let it slide and see what happened.

Now here’s where I take a bit of issue with the way this story was delivered. And anything I have to say on the issue can be considered expert commentary. I have, after all, earned a degree in journalism, which immediately qualifies me to rant or rave in any way I please, right? Whatever. Did YOU endure hours of coma-inducing city council or school board meetings, only to report that yes, our kids are getting dumber, and no, it should not be allowable for land owners to blow up rabid prairie dogs with the bubonic plague? Didn’t think so. I’m so a journalist.

1)The pre-newscast commercials. You know how they always like to leave you hanging so you actually watch the newscast that will air later? That’s typical. It’s dumb, but typical. But ethical? That’s another box ‘o’ tissues. I don’t consider making me wait in fear to find out if my dog’s food is killing him to be edge-of-my-seat excitement. Don’t pull that, Fox. Tell me what I need to know, rather than spiritedly exclaiming “Do you think your cat or dog is safe? Just wait till you hear what might be killing it RIGHT NOW. Watch at 10 for details!” Well, crap!!!

2)The anecdote. In the case of the toxic pet food story, a reporter went to the home of a happy picket-fenced-in family living in the 'burbs of Denver. Two loving parents, two perfect children, and one adoring 17-year-old cat named something like Snuffles. Until now, that is – because Snuffles is DEAD.
The interview begins with the family together on the couch, and the mother is explaining how it’s been so tough, so very tough. So tough that her little girl has had a really hard time with it and doesn’t like to talk about it. Good call, then, putting her in front of a camera and rehashing in detail how kitty cat slowly and painfully died of kidney failure.
That poor little girl! Imagine this – a furry friend who has been around since before you were born, and suddenly dies because of a bad batch of food. It’s hard enough without Mom and Dad calling in camera crews and reporters to broadcast it across the state.
Do you think they called their friends and family? “Hey ya’ll! Be sure to watch Fox 31 tonight! We gon’ be on the TELLY-vision! Why? Oh, the cat died. No, don’t be sorry – this is our big break! Tomorrow I’m registering Cindy May for the local beauty pageant…”

But I’m being insensitive here. I mean, I certainly needed AND had a strong desire to hear about how Snuffles first started puking, then became weak and started wandering off into dark corners to die alone, and then, eventually, just didn’t wake up. Tragic, yes. But the real tragedy was watching poor Cindy May squirm on the couch, about ready to lose it as her mother told the reporter all the gory details. I swear, you could see the glint of hope-for-fame in her eyes. Ignore the bawling child, she’ll get over it…

R.I.P. Snuffles. R.I.P. And check your pet food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brilliant. i hate interviews like that - almost as much as i love reading comments like the one above.

Debbie Thiegs said...

Indeed, Anonymous commentor #2. Indeed.