Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cinque Terre Day 2


Another amazing day! But first -- last night. I walked to my ostello up a huge hill in Manarola and into my dorm to find Whitney, the only other lone female traveller I've met thus far who just so happens to live in Boulder, go to CU and work at my favorite Boulder restaurant - The Med. Ironic that we happened to meet at the Med ... the real Med, that is. So we grabbed dinner and I tried Cinque Terre's renowned Limoncino, which I had one sip of and promptly decided to never drink again. I later learned it's made from grappa, alcohol derived from the skins of grapes and therefore very syrupy and strong. I'll stick with the wine. But so fun to hang out with someone who knows home!

Today I hiked. I managed to do all but the simplest one, which I will get to tomorrow. I was disgustingly sweaty and needing to dive into the aqua blue of the sea when I finally reached Montorrosso (from Manarola!), and along the way I ran into Carol, or "Mama Gibb" as I referred to her earlier. It is a small world after all. She told me Mark and JD were on the beach in Montorrosso, so I found them, swam, relaxed and had a beer compliments of Mark. Now the sun is setting, and just to brag a little more -- it is gorgeous.

No comments: