Tuesday, June 06, 2006

When in Barcelona ...

Ahh, Spain! It was a bittersweet goodbye to the Mirabellas, but I am so happy to be here.
I came in on the 3rd and watched the sunrise over the Spanish sea en las horas pequenas de la maƱana, and although it was not something I did by choice, it was a warming welcome to this portion of the trip that I´ve been most excited for.
I´ve gotten to practice my Spanish, but at first I kept slipping in a "oui" or "s´il vous plait," but now I´m back in the Spanish groove and its familiarity makes me very happy. I feel good here.

Barcelona: I love this city! I was so anxious to get to Spain, and the first day was a pinch lonely as it often can be in the big cities. But now that it´s over I miss it! The city itself is beautiful, with incredible Gaudi character that only leaves me wanting more. I love Gaudi. I knew nothing about his talent before and now I´m kind of obsessed.
I have visited the beach (of course), Sagrada Familia (amazing), Gaudi´s Parc Guell and house, went to Mass at the Cathedral, looked at countless structures, sculptures, buskers, enjoyed the nightlife so much you might say I enjoyed the morning life as well, and I´ve met some awesome people from Canada and Australia. There are surprisingly few Americans around Europe right now. I´ve probably met 75% canadians so far. Maybe everyone is lying to avoid tension, but I doubt it.
Some highlights include drinking fresh Sangria at El Raco del Raco in Poble Espanyol, an old artisan town square, and then strolling through Parc Guell´s lavender and daffodil gardens (Gaudi was smart and knew it would make people smile, as I did). I also loved the "Magical Fountain" as it´s called. A group of us from the hostel (me, one Canadian and about 10 Aussies), ventured there and ended up staying for a couple hours just enjoying the ambiance of color, water and people-watching -- the perfect end to a day and start to the night, which, in Barcelona, doesn´t seem to end.

No comments: